Wednesday 4 November 2009

Melodifestivalen Is Starting To Get Wild for Darin!


A few days ago the first Melodifestivalen Wildcard was added to the 2010 list!
For those of you not on planet Schlager, it is the one, the only Darin.. as blogged about here!

Now as I talk about Sweden, Meldofestivalen and Swepop nearly all the time, I have discussed with people before the idea of Darin for Melodi!
He is spectacular, and when I get my ass in gear he will be made officially a MIA legend, but I am just not sure how his style will mash with Melodi!
Even though I was not fully impressed by his newest album Flashback, his efforts have been Swedelicious since his Idol exit!

So far Darin has had two major Meldoi connections, firstly is his 2005 best of Melodifestivalen Show, Michael Jackson sounding spin on Lena Philipsson's Melodi/Eurovision classic Det Gör Ont (It Hurts)...

He was an odd looking boy! His performance is electric though. Reminds me a bit of Danny, probably because Darin has never been that Schlager! He commands the stage, and that mic stage like a Schlager-pro! I would love if he was to do a song like this!

However his song for 2010 is supposedly a mid-tempo ballad, sensitive and powerful. This leads extremely well onto Darin's 2009 2nd Melodifestivalen connection when he performed the beautiful Se på mig at the Malmö round...

It is almost effortless! This has been one of my fav Melodi ballads for a long time. Somthing about it, even though I don't understand a lyric still nearly moves me to tears when I here it. And Darin's version moves every emotion in me! Now looking far more handsome than before, he just sings the song with an entrancing power. No show, no Schalger pointing... just him and a classic anthem.
If his song is anything like this, then I am sold and can't wait to see him perform it on the 13th of March when I'm in Globen!

Final video is a looser Meldoi connection, as in it was not officially on the show! This time he is with the Melodifestivalen Queen who he covered before, Lena, signing her other masterpiece Kärleken Är Evig!

I would have loved a studio version of this, or to see the full thing live! He has the Schlager in him.. why hold it back for 2010!

Overall I am expecting big things from Darin. He is one of Sweden's biggest acts at the moment, who will hopefully break the UK soon with Breathing Your Love. If all goes to plan he will have a European fanbase ready to vote come Eurovision time. However if it all goes wrong then I don't think he will loss much, he's big enough and will carry on after. I just want the ballad to knock me off my feet on the first listen! Because Darin can smash a ballad!

No comments: