Sunday 24 January 2010

I'm Ready To Play Again.. Let's Get Famous!



When I heard the Swedish Pop Sensation Play were reforming under the extremely successful hands of their creator Laila Bagge, Andreas Carlsson and Anders Bagge I was mega excited!
When Play were big in the USA, around the same time as A*teens, they were consistently under my radar. With very little European success, I just assumed they were one of the many American girlbands in the USA at the time. However their début single 'Us Against the World' was a perfect pop gem to sum up the post-millennium pop sound:



Their songs then on followed a similar structure, with highlight singles such as a bizarre cover of Annie's Hard Knock Life, and a not as good as Atomic Kitten version of Whole Again:

Like many a female musician/group in America, after a few years of being child stars the girls sexed themselves up for their single I Must Not Chase Boys, I chose the Thunderpuss Radio Mix as I prefer this version.

In 2003 one of their main singers Faye left to study, and Janet Leon joined.
Breaking up in 2005, Play went their separate ways and created far more interesting music apart in my opinion!
Faye covered the Fleetwood Mac classic Go Your Own Way for the department store MQ, which is their traditional promo song, Rosanna created the yet to be release Gameboy along with many other exciting electro pop tunes, and Janet in 2009 took part in the TV4 show Made In Sweden to launch her solo career which included the immense track Heartbreak on the Dancefloor:

Following Janet's Made in Sweden success, in 2009 the 2 of the original girls Anais and Faye (Now calling herself Fanny, that will be fun when they head back to the USA or UK!) rejoined to appear on the 2010 version of Made In Sweden. They have a new member in the form of the insanely gifted singer Sanne Karlsson. I urge anyone who hasn't heard of this little Swedish gem to check out her breathtaking vocal on the Ghost vs Sanne album Hold This Girl. I meant to blog about the album as I was addicted to the original Swedish tracklist version. It was the most overlooked album in 2009!

After watching the first two episodes of Made In Sweden online (via TV4 Play, then again via Youtube with English subtitles!), though I can not understand what they are saying, the music they have played for the planned new album sounds AWESOME! Here is a taster of their first track, the theme tune for the show, Famous:

So 2010 looks like it will bring us a fantastic album from the new look Play, and I do applaud them for going down this route rather than Melodifestivalen, though I LOVE Melodifestivalen!

No comments: