Wednesday 10 February 2010

A Place Where Everyone's Dares To Go... They Call It Xanadu


I logged on to Youtube today to find a newly posted video by Scottish Singer/Songwriter Sharleen Spiteri... seriously sorry for the S overload!
The video title intrigued me. I was known the sound that would be unleashed through the click of a play button, I would have ran and hide under my duvet, or shoved plugs in my ears!

(For some reason video can only be seen in full article! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3BgSqzW_Q)
Oh Lord! As part of her 'The Movie Songbook' album Sharleen has covered this evergreen classic, broke off all its branches then set fire to it.
Why oh Why? I liked her in Texas, but her voice just grates on me in this song. I even liked her last album, but somehow her talent is lost on me in this!
This must be the most banal video ever made. It doesn't help that the backing singers are quite irritating, especially the white topped one who has to motion ever word she sings. My favourite bit though is at 2.32 when Sharleen seams to play an orchestra solely through her guitar!
Why is she singing it so seriously? Xanadu is built on camp and spectacle.
After the break I will show Sharleen how it should be done.

First up we have the benchmark, the classic itself in all its OTT glamour!

Olivia Newton John really is a legend! Her voice is effortlessly with everlasting beauty.

First up on the cover journey is failed British girl/boy band Pop!

Planned as their 4th single, this track has the essence of Steps 'Tragedy' all over it, and should have been just as big! Its nothing adventurous but takes the Olivia magic up-to-date, and doesn't take itself seriously!

Next up is the Goddess of Gays - Dannii Minogue.

Her electro ballad version is ok on the chill-out front, but drains the song of its life and character. It would probably be perfect song to sunbath to by a crystal clear sea, with cocktail in hand. She however does fellow Ozy Olivia proud with her TV performance of the track. Divalicious! Her pink and purple styling make her look both beautiful and angelic.

The final cover is my favourite, by Filipino superstar Regine Velasquez:

It has beauty and heart, sang perfectly and the guitar piano combo makes it both playful and original. It makes the song relevant without forgetting its origins and 'message', if it has one! I can listen to this over and over and never get bored.
I think this version would be perfect for Olivia to cover and release today. Very post-modern covering a cover of your song, but I would be truly special!

Finally I couldn't talk about Xanadu without mentioning the insanely perfect looking musical based on the film! Here is a quick clip of the Tony's performance. The show looks so magical and I can't wait till it comes to the West End now that its Broadway run is over!

No comments: